Tuesday 18 May 2010

Newton Burgoland - Baptism Records and Sunday School Book Register

I have been fortunate with my family research in that, I have found like minded researchers who have gone that extra mile and shared valuable copies of records with me, such as the ones I am listing here and again I feel that these should be available to other researchers. I am unaware if these are also available at The Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland but it is likely that they are. The photographs, are of the records still kept at Newton Burgoland.

I haven't had time yet to transcribe these records but I am very happy to view these for names and send copies of the relevant pages. The most common surnames I have noticed for Newton Burgoland are:- Whyman, Timms, Smith, Fawkes or Fowkes, Haywood or Heywood, Croxtall, Brockley, Croshaw, Meakin, Jones, Knight, Jebbett and Posin. Please email me at leicestershirelass@outlook.com

1803 to 1916 Register of Baptisms
1925 to 1997 Baptismal Register

Sunday School Book Register.

1806 to 1905

The Sunday School Book Register, lists the child's name, parent's name, residence and remarks. Remarks include, dates and why the child left, residence not only includes Newton Burgoland but also Newton Nethercote, Shackerstone, Odstone, Snarestone, Swepstone, Heather and Tuckers Holt for example

The first entry in the register is Ann Whyman daughter of Thomas Whyman, residence Newton Burgoland, dismissed with a bible.

The last entry in the register is on the 14th January 1906 Alice Billings, no place of residence and or the name of her parents.

After 1897 there appears to be no attention to detail, perhaps because children now were attending daily school.

Leicestershire Lass